The eucalypt planted by Aperam BioEnergia is used in the production of charcoal. Being the product of a sustainable production process, it’s considered a clean and renewable energy source.
These are the main benefits of renewable forests:
- They reduce the impact on native vegetation and protect the fauna within the company’s operation area;
- They recover depleted soils by depositing biomass and controlling erosion. Eucalypt demands low levels of mineral nutrients and adapts well to acid and low fertility soils;
- They provide an organic cover to the soil by depositing leaves and thin branches, contributing to structural improvement;
- They help regulating the quality and flow of hydric resources;
- They consume water in the same proportion as other forest species, but are more effective in using the water for biomass production;
- They absorb a large quantity of CO2 from the atmosphere, contributing against greenhouse gas effects and consequently against global warming;
- They present a higher yield by area unit, occupying smaller territorial surfaces;
- They represent a source of economic and social improvements by generating jobs, maintaining countryside populations and mobilizing several social responsibility actions.